15 Things You Didn’t Know About Waveny House
Interesting facts about the historical New Canaan mansion
(page 2 of 2)
- Crops on the farm during the Lapham era included corn, wheat, buckwheat, hay, chickens, apples, peach and pear trees, and a large vegetable garden.
- Lewis Lapham’s sporty son, Jack Lapham, used the back yard of Waveny House as a golf course, polo field and even a landing strip for his private biplane. There were also tennis courts and a swimming pool on the property.
- In 1967, Waveny House and its surrounding 300 acres were sold to the Town of New Canaan by Mrs. Ruth Lapham Lloyd for $1,500,000.
- Celebrities such as Gene Wilder, Tony Randall and Alec Baldwin have either hosted or been interviewed for TV shows inside Waveny House.
- Exteriors of the tudor-style mansion were used in the 2004 movie The Stepford Wives and served as the fictional “Cortlandt Manor house” on the soap opera All My Children.
- Months after their official wedding, JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette had a private reception at Waveny House.
- In the late 70s and early 80s, Martha Stewart catered several weddings at Waveny House.
[Sources: The New Canaan Historical Society and Steve Benko of the Parks and Recreation Department of New Canaan.]